Saturday, December 31, 2011

I delivered the bags last night to my Homeless Helpers granddaughter. Friends and I made 89 bags, for the kids to fill with toiletries and food for the homeless people in Detroit. Not quite the 200 Mary asked me for, but it was a valiant effort. And they got a contribution of 300 bags from school.Still to be counted are the bags from the other kids on the team.

Some friends have expressed surprise we were willing to give up good quilting fabrics for this cause. (Batiks!)
A long time ago a teacher taught me that the word sacrifice, from the Latin root words,  actually means to make holy. Is there a better way to use fabric that we have in excess of our needs? Doesn't it translate our avaricious accumulation of possessions into a means of comfort for those in need, and redeem our actions? I hope so. Seeing my daughter and granddaughter, who are well fed, and housed and employed, affected by interacting with homeless people, is very touching. Their compassion should be a means of causing others to become involved with acts of mercy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, your granddaughter and family's willingness to get involved is an example for us all!

Blog Archive