Sunday, February 21, 2010

So far today, I have made a large pan of lasagna, and an apple pie. I learned to make pie at my mothers' side. My children called her Apple Gramma. She always peeled and sliced apples as we sat at the table, and fed them to my kids. I have added a few things to her recipe over time. I put in 1/4 cup of raisins, and a sprinkle of cardamom and nutmeg.
For my low fat, high fiber, low carb, lasagna sauce, I brown 8 sliced large mushrooms, a chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, 2 lbs. ground round, Newmans' Own jar of organic sauce, and a spoonful of sugar. I add a shredded eggplant. It gives a nutty flavor, and lots of fiber. I use lowfat cottage cheese, (I know it's wrong!) in place of ricotta, with shredded Parmesan cheese, and parsley and fresh ground pepper mixed in. And lowfat mozzarella is the top layer. Usually there are only 3 layers of pasta, to keep the carbs low. It makes a large pan. We eat it twice, and I freeze it for 3 more meals at least.
I won't count this creative stuff, but I did make something.

No comments:

Blog Archive